Tuesday 16 December 2014

Thierry Henry

Arsenal legend and France 98 World Cup winner retires

At 37, Henry has retired from football and would return to London to become the face of Sky Television
Having said goodbye to former teammates at MLS club, New York Red Bulls last week, the 37 year-old finally called it quits with football today, Tuesday
There had been ripe speculations that Henry might join another club in a player capacity after he revealed he had played his last for Red Bulls in domestic game against New England Revolution amidst calls that he would return to Arsenal later in the future but in a managerial role.
The 1998 World Cup winner instead would join British media, Sky Television on a multi-million pound deal to become the brand face and pundit on Sky Sports.
Henry who grew from the ranks of AS Monaco as a youngster to become one of the best strikers in the world to win numerous glories individually, with club and country in a career spanning 20 years; is Arsenal and France's leading goal scorer till date with 228 goals and 51 respectively.
He won two Premier League titles and three FA Cups with the Gunners, where he played between 1999 and 2007.
“The decision was not too hard to be honest.
“It is hard to leave the game you love and everything you used to do on a daily basis. But I am pleased with what I’ve done and I’ve got no regrets. Things happen for a reason. It’s hard and not hard.
“I love the game and I still think I can give a lot to the game. I’m retiring and I’m not yet involved with any team. In the meantime, I can give back to the game on TV and make people understand some stuff they maybe don’t already. The job of an analyst is to make people understand in a simple way what the game means. It will be our job to make sure we bring the game closer to people.”
Adding that,"It has been an incredible journey.''
Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger has not put away the thought that Henry may return to the club where he helped build through a succesful period.
"You kind of never leave Arsenal. How many comebacks do you make? At one point it will turn out to be a bad move. We all love the first Rocky but I'm not too sure about the last one,'' he answered while been quizzed about a return to the Gunners.
“I don’t know if I can be a good coach or not, but the desire is there.
“We’ll see. Just because you can play the game doesn’t mean you can teach it - dealing with egos and lifting people,'' Henry said regarding his coaching ambition.
Leaving Arsenal in 2009, he played in Barcelona where he won the Champions League and he shared words of gratitude with former employers
"I would like to thank all the fans, team-mates and individuals involved with AS Monaco, Juventus, Arsenal FC, FC Barcelona, the New York Red Bulls and of course the French national team that have made my time in the game so special.
"I have had some amazing memories (mostly good!) and a wonderful experience.
"I hope you have enjoyed watching as much as I have enjoyed taking part.

No comments:

Post a Comment